Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The rest of St Moritz


I guess Torbs and I did what we came to do – take on the Cresta Run. After 7 rides I wanted more, but that competitive streak had kicked in and at some point I could have come a cropper. Torbs also left as a member of the Shuttlecock Club with the tie, which I am very jealous of.

Highlights for us had to be the Pioda (hot stone where you cook your own meat) where you could select any animal that took your choosing. We tried Zebra, Ostrich, Kangeroo and Moose to name a few.

We did a bobsleigh run which was phenomenal. We were only passengers in the middle of the bob with a driver and brakeman, but the feeling of pulling 3G through corners was amazing. I’ll get a video up as soon as possible of that!

We also went for a night ski one evening. To be fair, we didn’t actually make it out for the day’s skiing due to a rather large session the night before. One of st Moritz’s ski areas opens up a long run which is floodlit most of the way down. Sadly not all of it, and you spend most of your time dodging drunk Italians ploughing down faster than they really can handle.

On the last night before we left, we crashed the last night of the Cresta Run party. I would like to give lots of detail on what we did and got up to but sadly according to Torbs I was “about as drunk as he’d ever seen me”. This I do remember – we had to bribe our way in, we got charged £15 a drink, we left as it closed, we went down the Olympic bobsleigh run on a tea tray and a broom, I woke up outside our hotel room on the floor and Torbs found my phone hanging from the door in a plastic bag the next day. Apart from that, absolutely nothing. Legend night though.

I’m not sure how I feel about St Moritz though. I’d like to say it was the crème de la crème of ski resorts, but I never really felt welcome. There was no après ski, the average age was well into the 50’s and we never really felt comfortable. I would love to do the Cresta Run again, but I doubt I’ll be going back to St Moritz for the skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment